Date(s) - 2018-06-26 - 2018-06-27
09:30 CEST - 17:30 CEST
EMBL Heidelberg, Room 202
- Frank Thommen (Core Facility of DKFZ Heidelberg)
- Malvika Sharan (EMBL Bio-IT)
Linux is an operating system with a powerful command line interface that is widely used for biological data analysis and in server and cluster systems. A knowledge and understanding of how to interact effectively with the command line is essential when using many popular bioinformatics software packages, efficiently performing repetitive computational tasks, and working in high-performance computing cluster environments. This course will be offered in collaboration with Omics IT and Data Management Core Facility of DKFZ Heidelberg.
- Basic commands of Linux/shell
- The principle of shell scripting
This course will provide an introduction to the basic UNIX (linux/Mac OS X) commands and the principle of scripting. By the end of the course, the participants should be confident and competent in navigating around a Linux filesystem, performing file operations and finding help on the commandline. With the scripting skills, the participants will be able to understand (and modify) the scripts they are using (and which they probably have received from someone else).
This course aims to teach basic commands and shell scripting to the life scientists who wish to carry out repeated tasks to deal with biological data.
The goal of the course is to enable participants:
- to use the shell interactively
- to understand and modify given scripts
- to write their own scripts
- We do not expect the participants to have prior knowledge of scripting or version control. This is a course for the researchers who wish to automate their tasks such as dealing with a large number of files to carry out identical or similar analysis using computers.
- Participants are expected to bring their own laptop. You can find the SET-UP INSTRUCTION HERE.
Please contact Malvika Sharan for any further information.
This course will be offered for free to all EMBL members.
The external participants will be charged with a course fee of 60 Euros (to cover the lunch and infrastructure related cost). The invoice details will be shared via email.
Cancellation and No-Show:
The registration can be canceled for the free of charge until June 18, 2018.
The participants will be charged a cancellation fee (if canceled after June 18, 2018) or no-show fee of 50 Euros. The invoice details will be shared via email.