Date(s) - 2019-12-10
09:30 CET - 17:00 CET
EMBL Heidelberg, Room 202
- Nicolas Descostes (Bioinformatics Service, EMBL Rome)
- Toby Hodges (Bio-IT)
Do you struggle to keep track of the changing versions of your scripts/programs? Have you ever made changes to a file, only to wish shortly afterward that you could easily get back the old version? Do you want to learn how to harness the awesome features of GitLab for collaboration, issue tracking, software publication, etc?
This one-day course aims to teach good practice in version control, using
git in conjunction with the EMBL GitLab system, git.embl.de. Participants will learn:
- how to maintain a history of changes with Git and how to compare differences between versions
- how to restore old versions of files
- how to synchronise local versions with a remote repository
- how multiple developers can collaborate effectively on a project, and how to resolve conflicting changes
- how to manage a project through the GitLab interface
- how to choose the right license for a project
- how to work with Git directly within your development environment (e.g. RStudio)
The course will provide an introduction to Git via three different interfaces: the command line, a graphical client, and GitLab.
Course participants are expected to be familiar with fundamentals of working in the Linux command line, i.e. commands such as
touch. To learn more about this commands, you might like to read our Introduction to the Linux Command Line (PDF) course material.
Course participants are required to bring their own laptop. Further setup instructions will follow closer to the time.
The course open only to EMBL members, who should log in with their EMBL credentials before registering. EMBL-EBI members without a username and password for EMBL Heidelberg systems are very welcome and can contact Toby Hodges to request a place.
EMBL members can choose to follow the training in-person or via video conferencing. If you prefer to attend the course in-person, please choose the “Course Place” option when registering. If you intend to follow the training remotely, please choose “Remote Attendance”.
Bookings are closed for this event.