Date(s) - 2023-03-28 - 2023-03-30
08:30 CEST - 12:30 CEST
From CodeRefinery welcome and information:
These days, computation is everywhere. Many people learn programming, but it’s much harder to learn how all of the things fit together in practice.
This course is aimed at supporting computational scientists’ skills so that they can:
- Do their science without barriers
- Produce higher quality, reproducible research
The course programme includes:
- Reproducible research and FAIR data
- Social coding and open software
- Software testing
- Modular code development
Similarly to what we propose for the first part of this workshop (about versioning and git), we plan to follow the streaming of this CodeRefinery lesson all together, with EMBL trainers at disposal in the (virtual or phisical) room as helpers or just local chair of the discussion.
Technical Setup and important information (please read)
In order to be able to use the tools learned in their daily work after the course, participants are required to bring their own laptop. Please find all the information about the programme and requirements linked from the full workshop programme here . Also, followingly a summary of the requirement for all the three days modules together:
- install Git, Python, and Snakemake
- access Jupyter and JupyterLab, either through installing Miniconda or by accessing the EMBL JupyterHub
- install Sphinx and pytest as part of the Python environment
- optional, create a GitHub account to follow the demo exactly as in the tutorial. Alternatively, the EMBL GitLab can be used.
With this specific course setup (Bio-IT helpers in a lesson followed in streaming), we propose to:
- Either follow the stream with us in a room in Heidelberg, or
- Follow the stream wherever, joining us via an EMBL chat channel which will be provide. A zoom room will be available for troubleshoting issues with our help.
If multiple people from the same site (not Heidelberg) will express interest, we will put you in contact with each other and try to book a common room.
Bookings are closed for this event.